Off Page SEOThe Humble Web Designer
Off Page SEO
There are so many factors that dictate as to how your website is going to get a good ranking on search engines such as Google and Bing.
Something that can help is getting back links from websites with a good page rank. Websites that commonly have a good page rank are directory websites.
It will require some manual input and can be as boring as hell. We suggest that you NEVER PAY to have your business listed and only go for the FREE LISTING option. You will most probably get a call from a sales bod trying to get you to boost your listing- just tell them you are doing it for SEO purposes. A back link is a back link free or paid for.
We have listed a few to get you started so go and grab your FREE listing. Some offer more than others but they all have one thing in common – they are free and have a good page rank !
A few simple tips before you start;
- Make sure you are able to add a link to your website. If not move on as this is the key to all this effort.
- Make sure it is FREE.
- Use an email that you don’t mind getting spam back on as those nasty boys are always on the look out for fresh blood.
- You’ll need a copy of your logo. You might want to have it in various sizes and in either png or jpeg format.
- Almost all of them will allow you to write a bit about your company. Don’t be tempted to cut and paste the same blurb in as this will be classed as duplicate content by the search engines. Mix it up a bit – Web Designer, Website Designer, Web Designers, Website Designers – all different but say the same thing.
- If asked to place a reciprocal back link have a think as you maybe directing your website visitors back to a list of your competitors.
- Google My Business – Your listing appears right when people are searching for your business or businesses like yours on Google Search or Maps.
- Bing Places – Bings version of Google My Business
- Yell.com – The old yellow book has gone but their directory is BIG
- FreeIndex – We’ve been on it since 2003. Good site that allows you to create a very complete profile and the more reviews you get the higher your placement.
- Scoot – Good general business directory
- Cylex – Free and paid for business directory.
- Thompson Local – Another paper boy that is now is a big directory online.
- UK Small Business Directory – Scroll to the bottom of the page for the free listing form.
- Lacartes – Growing business directory.
- Locanto – Free classified ads.
There are many more out there. Just search for free business directories